Saturday, February 18, 2012


This is the cake I made for Casey.  She turned 30 this month and I wanted to make a "chic" cake for her.  It was fun to make.  I used a vegan cake recipe I found at Chef Cloe's site: http://chefchloe.com/vegan-recipes.html.  She won cupcake wars in 2011 for her tasty vegan recipes. This recipe is pretty good and I adjusted it to high altitude by adding three tablespoons flour to the dry mix, reducing the baking soda to 1 3/4 tsp, and reducing the Agave to 1 1/2 cups.  I baked it about 5 to 8 minutes longer than her recipe calls for because it just takes longer to bake some stuff at high altitude.
I used the fondant recipe from: Peggy Weaver's Site, http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm. I also used her butter cream frosting recipe though I am working on a vegan butter cream frosting recipe and will share that once I have found something that stands up well.  The big problem with that is trying to find a stable ingredient that isn't hydrogenated. I may have to use some type hydrogenation and it can still be called vegan.  However, remember that just because it's vegan doesn't mean it is healthy though vegan recipes are much more healthy than non vegan recipes.
I am serving this atop a homemade raspberry sauce.  I took one package of frozen raspberries and blueberries mixed, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water and brought it to a small simmer in a sauce pan.  I let it reduce for about 15 minutes (high altitude always takes longer) and then added 1 tablespoon starch dissolved in 2 tablespoons cold water by pouring slowly into the heated berries.  I only added half the cornstarch mixture at a time to see if the consistency was what I wanted.  It should be like a medium thick syrup.  I strained the sauce to remove skins and seeds.  Then I put it in a pour bottle and stuck it in the fridge overnight. 

To plate just squirt or pour some raspberry sauce on the individual plate.  Slice a piece of cake and gently place in the center of the plate.  Place a fresh raspberry or two on the side.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. the total artistry of your creations amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kiddo. Hope all is well with you and yours!

      Delete