Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Sports Cake


I got an order for this sport cake from a friend of mine.  It was a white cake with butter cream filling.  I used my standard marshmallow fondant and butter cream icing. 

 I knew this cake would be a challenge because of the unique ball shapes and getting it all put together. The hardest part was the baseball because of the shape of the laces and actual stitching. I used royal icing to make the laces. 

Structure was an issue as the basket ball was difficult to add on the cake.  I ran sticks into the cake to help hold it on but what helped most was lots of icing as glue.


The Football came out way better than I imagined.  I was able to get the laces right and even put stitching on.  Also, I used a texture mat for the Basketball.  You know the skid proof drawer liners you can buy in a roll at Wal-Mart? Yeah, that stuff is great!  I also use sheets of it under the cake in the car for transport so the cakes won't slide.

No comments:

Post a Comment