Gingerbread Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup granulated sugar (HA 1/3 cup)
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup molasses
2 cups all-purpose flour (HA + 2 TLBS)
1 teaspoon baking soda ( HA 3/4 tsp)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
3/4 cup water (HA + 1 TLBS)
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
4-6 cups (1 lb) powdered sugar
1 to 2 teaspoons milk
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 18 regular-size muffin cups.
2. In large bowl, beat granulated sugar, 1/2 cup butter, the molasses and eggs with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, the allspice and water. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter into each muffin cup.
3. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pans; place on cooling racks. Cool completely, about 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, the lemon peel, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and the vanilla with electric mixer on low speed until smooth. On low speed, gradually beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until smooth. Beat in milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until spreadable.
5. Pipe or spread a generous amount of frosting on top of each cupcake. Store covered in refrigerator.