Monday, August 2, 2010

Something to Ponder Regarding Graphic Videos

I have many wonderful friends on FB.  In fact, there isn't a one that doens't have something wonderful about them that I admire. I have several FB friends that really shine that extra shine.  One is Shon Holderbaum.  He is always saying what a blessed man he is and that he is so in love with his family.  His posts are ALWAYS positive.  If you know him  or have seen him or is beautiful family you might think that he does have it made in the shade!  But I happen to know that life hasn't been a bed of roses for him or his family.  They have faced difficult circumstances but have drawn closer to God through all of it.  He exemplifies the Biblical saying to "Give thanks in all things!)

 I appreciate the comments and videos - well most of them.  Some of you put on videos that are extremely graphic.  I like comments and videos that are posted, but I think the graphic stuff like dead babies or people getting hit by cars or smashed against walls is far to graphic.  I am sure they must have their place to help people drive better or some such moral.

Let me suggest for your consideration that maybe we are way to saturated with graphic material.  The eye is the lamp of the body and science has proven that we never forget what we have seen....it just gets filed somewhere in our brain and can be brought up later in life.  We also become desensitized.  I remember watching a bunch of videos about the holocust.  At first I was shocked, now not so much.  These were people, someones family member, someones friend.  Seeing dead babies being slung on a truck from the earthquake in Haiti is very graphic.  It breaks my heart that this happened, but we don't need to exploit it by posting and reposting on FB. 

I don't want to tell any of you what to post and what not to post.  After all, it is my decision to click on the play button.  I don't have to watch them.  What I think might be a good plan is that if you decide you want to post something graphic, add in the section where you can write something that it is graphic.  Then I will know not to watch if I choose and others can if they choose.

Some have suggested that I just delete the FBF from FB.  But I like their comments most of the time and I don't want to lose touch.  I like the dialogue on politics and religion or just everyday stuff that goes on. 

Anyway, I just thought it might be a nice suggestion.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment